Seeking Justice? Call a Tanker Truck Accident Attorney Today!
Tanker truck accidents are unfortunately becoming increasingly common on our roads and highways. Whether it was a tanker truck accident today, a tanker truck accident yesterday, or a tanker accident yesterday carrying flammable contents, these incidents can result in fatal injuries and heavy damage to the property. Do you need legal representation after an overturned tanker truck accident?
Our experienced tanker truck lawyer at Royce Injury can help. Contact our expert tanker truck accident attorney now for a free consultation.
Are Tankers More Dangerous Than Other Commercial Trucks?
Tanker trucks transport gas, petroleum, and other liquids in parts of the country. They are the most common type of trucks on highways. According to an estimation by American Geo Science and Tanker Truck Driver Demographics, approximately 552,336 tanker trucks are on the nation’s highways and roads. The unique design, size, weight, navigation difficulties, and the combusting contents they carry make tanker truckers extremely dangerous on highways and busy roads. An oil tanker truck accident and a gas tanker truck accident are ten times more devastating than an overturned tanker truck carrying non-combustible material. They cause collateral damage to public property and second-degree burns to the victims. Tanker truck accidents are more difficult to handle because oil spillage catches fire rapidly and soon explodes. Therefore, the damage by an overturned tanker truck is more paramount than commercial trucks due to rollovers, hazardous waste spills, and other dangers.
Causes of Tanker Truck Accidents
The common causes of tanker truck accidents are;
- Poorly maintained roads
- Weather conditions
- Spillage, slipping, rollovers, turnovers
- Drowsy driving by the tank truck driver
- Ignition or spark in the flammable content
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Distracted driving
- Road rage
- Stray animals on the highway
- Vehicle malfunction
Injuries Caused by Tanker Truck Accidents
The injuries in a tanker truck accident have deadliner than commercial trucks. These injuries include;
- Second and third-degree burns: The toxic substances and flammable contents of tank trucks cause severe burns to the victims.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs): Being knocked out of the vehicle through the windshield or from the car can result in fatal damage to the brain, causing head injuries.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Cracking, spraining, or dislocation of vertebrae in the spinal cord may result in permanent disability, loss of mobility of some parts of the body, or temporary paralysis.
- Fractured bones: The force of the crash impacts the fracture of several bones in the body simultaneously.
- Internal bleeding and tissue raptures: Organ damage, internal bleeding, and tissue raptures are also observed in some tank truck accidents.
- Organ amputations and impales: In fatal tank truck accidents, the victims can sometimes even lose a limb or organ impaled.
If you have met a tank truck accident, seek immediate medical attention even if there are no visible signs of injury. Get yourself checked for any internal bleeding or organ malfunction. If you are feeling the effects of whiplash, get medical help. Keep the receipts of all medical bills as evidence for seeking compensation in the future.
Compensation Available After a Tanker Truck Accident
The tanker truck accident victim can claim compensation for economic and non-economic damages. The compensation you can claim may depend on the nature of the injuries, the circumstances involving the case, and the liable parties. If you have been in a tanker truck accident, you can file an injury lawsuit for the following damages;
- Medical bills: Doctor’s fees, receipts of medical treatment, medicine receipts, etc
- Financial losses: Loss of wages, temporary disability to earn, permanent impact on future earning capacity
- Psychological damages: Emotional, psychological, and mental stress and agony
- Property damage: Vehicle damage, loss of goodwill, any other tangible property damage such as an expensive watch, laptop, mobile phone, etc.
- Insurance company damages claim: In some tanker truck accidents, insurance companies of trucking companies pay damages to the victims if liability is established.
Liability for Tanker Truck Accidents
Establishing liability is important in tank truck accidents because it determines who will pay for the injuries you have suffered. Usually, in truck accident cases, many potentially liable parties are involved, and each party tries to shift the liability to the other defendants to avoid paying damages. The liability of each party may depend on the circumstances of the case and the degree of duty of care each party owes to the victim. These circumstances can be DUI, distracted driving, or drowsy driving by the truck driver. It can also be the fault of the trucking company which failed to exercise due care in the maintenance of the trucks, or the loading company which overloaded the truck. Moreover, the weather conditions and potholes on the road may also contribute to tanker truck accidents, making the government agencies also liable. It is recommended to consult an experienced tanker truck accident lawyer to understand and determine the extent of liability of each party in your case.
Why Do Tanker Truck Accidents Victims Need a Lawyer?
Negotiations with insurance companies and the legal process of an injury lawsuit can be complex, exhausting, and challenging for a layman. Most injury cases collapse at the initial stages of the litigant failing to establish the liability of the parties involved. Liability is a complex process, and you will require the expertise of a seasoned truck accident lawyer to help you with;
- Legal requirements, paperwork, etc
- Investigate the accident, gather evidence, and determine the liable parties
- Negotiations with the insurance company and drafting of demand letter
- Securing your rights and legally representing you in the court
An experienced tanker truck accident lawyer will secure your position in the injury lawsuit but also give you advice about how you can gradually normalize your life after the accident.
If you have suffered injuries in a tanker truck accident, our experienced lawyers at Royce Injury can assist you in securing compensation for your damages. We understand the complex nature of these cases and will work tirelessly to ensure you receive the justice you deserve. Contact us today to learn more about your legal options.
- Teenager Accidents: What You Should Know and How to Respond - 1st December 2023
- Truck Impact on Wallet: What is the Average Settlement for an 18-Wheeler Accident? - 27th November 2023
- Navigating Pedestrian Safety Laws: Tips for Walkers & Drivers - 22nd November 2023