Accidents are common occurrences in our daily lives. According to the statistics by the World Health Organization, more than 1.19 million people have fatal accidents each year around the world. Following a traffic accident, the most frequent legal question asked by the victims who pursue an injury claim is about how much will I get from car accident settlement.
Explore typical car accident settlement amounts with our experienced car accident attorneys at Royce Injury. Learn what influences the average settlement for car accident cases and how it may apply to your scenario.
How Are Car Accident Settlements Calculated
Average car accident settlement varies from case to case because the settlement may depend on the number of liable parties involved and the complexity level of the injuries. However, generally the settlement of small to medium-car accident cases ranges between $20,000 to $35,000. The settlement amount depends on various important factors such as the loss of earning capacity, medical bills, property loss, future medical expenses, damages in case of permanent disability, mental agony and suffering, and emotional trauma, to name a few. These are the main factors that are analyzed for the calculation of a settlement amount.
- Medical Bills: These may include doctor fees, treatment expenses, medicine bills, hospital expenses, and any medical expenses that the doctors may reasonably presume you will potentially incur in the future due to your injury.
- Lost Wages: These may include income loss, earning capacity, and future implications on financial opportunities due to temporary or permanent disability.
- Pain and Suffering: Any psychological, emotional, and mental suffering in the post-accident period is also calculated in the settlement amount.
- Property loss: The damage to your property is also factored in the settlement amount. For example, the damage to your vehicle and any other valuable property i.e. laptop, watch, jewelry, and other relevant stuff that got damaged or destroyed in the accident.
How Much Are Most Car Accident Settlements: What You Can Expect
As mentioned before, it is noteworthy that what is the average settlement for a minor car accident may depend on the sustained major injuries and property damages. A minor car accident settlement is around $11,670 to $15,361. However, the major car accident settlements may vary between $20,000 to $35,000. Generally, the attorneys are able to give you a rough estimate about the settlement you should be claiming after factoring in all the calculable elements of your case.
Key Factors Dictating the Amount of Car Accident Settlements
How much are car accident settlements depends on the factors of each case. The key factors while dictating the amount of car accident settlements are insurance coverage, liable parties, degree of medical complications and severity of injuries, state laws, financial losses, etc.
- Insurance coverage: Settlement amounts that are way out of the bracket of insurance coverage are difficult to execute through insurance companies.
- Liable parties: This includes the people who are responsible for paying the money for your losses.
- Severity of injuries: Whether the injuries have resulted in temporary or permanent disability and the expenses to treat those injuries.
- State Laws: Every state has its own rules and limitations on how much settlement amount can be claimed. In Missouri, a fault-based settlement is in place for compensation coverage.
- Financial Loss: Wage loss, property damage, medical bills, etc are considered
What is the average settlement for a minor car accident may also depend on additional factors such as the attorney you have hired because the litigation fees are also added to the claim and are awarded to the victims.
Car Accident Settlement Duration: What’s the Average Wait?
Car accident settlements may take up to six months to 12 months, depending on the nature and complexity of the case. Moreover, when consulting a car accident attorney, you should be pre-prepared with questions because the initial consultation with an injury attorney is usually free. Your car accident attorney will give you an estimation of your claim amount. Therefore, always ask your attorney how much should I expect from a car accident settlement during the initial consultation to get a rough estimate. Always go to the car accident lawyer prepared and be honest about the circumstances of your case so that you can get a worthwhile settlement for your car accident case.
How to Obtain Higher Compensation from Your Car Accident Settlement?
How much to expect from a car accident settlement is also subjective to your deliberation to save the evidence. To increase your chances to obtain a higher compensation from your car accident settlement you have to follow the important steps to secure your case.
- Document and report your accident: The first step is to gather the accident evidence in the form of images or videos. Do the proper documentation and swap numbers with someone who has collected the images so they can share them with you. Properly document everything and report it to the police.
- Ask for witness statements: It’s always good to have witness statements in the documentation to strengthen your case’s evidence.
- Keep the receipts: Keeping the receipts of your medical bills, treatment expenses, and relevant charges is essential to increase the chances of getting a fair settlement amount, as these receipts are crucial evidence.
- Hire an experienced car accident attorney: Many people do not know they can claim more than one type of compensation for their car accident. Consulting and hiring an injury attorney helps you avoid such legal blunders when calculating the settlement amount. Always get a rough estimation from the lawyer about how much is my car accident settlement worth.
In a nutshell, what is a good settlement offer for a car accident may depend on the factors of your case. Calculating car accident settlements is the tricky first step, whether you have to negotiate with your insurance company or file a subsequent lawsuit to get such a settlement amount. For that matter, having our experienced Royce Injury car accident attorneys by your side is the step in the right direction to getting the settlement you deserve!
- Understanding Missouri’s Maximum Damage Caps - 19th February 2024
- Injured Passenger in Car Accident: Know Your Rights - 12th February 2024
- Railroad Crossing Accident Statistics: In-Depth Analysis - 31st January 2024